oday we are super excited to announce the availability of our newest feature - Global AWS Tag Search. This feature is immediately available to all our existing and new customers.
This new feature allows searching for all the AWS resources with specified AWS resource tags across regions and accounts. AWS tags are widely used to map the AWS resources onto the infrastructure and business entities. Until now there was no easy way to search for the AWS resources from multiple accounts or regions from a single place. With the Global AWS Tag search feature, CloudYali now addresses a major pain point of our customers.
A little more about AWS Tags
A tag is a label that you or AWS assigns to an AWS resource. Each tag consists of a key and a value (which is optional). For each resource, each tag key must be unique, and each tag key can have only one value. Many AWS services implement resource tags as an essential part of cloud management. These arbitrary key-value pairs can be utilized for billing, ownership, automation, access control, and many other use cases.
Each tag has two parts:
- A tag key (for example, CostCenter, Environment, or Project). Tag keys are case sensitive.
- A tag value (for example, 111122223333 or Production). Like tag keys, tag values are case sensitive. The tag value is optional.
You can use tags to categorize resources by purpose, owner, environment, or other criteria.
How to use CloudYali Global AWS Tag search?
- Visit the 'Inventory' tab in the CloudYali console, and look for the 'Advanced' dropdown link. On clicking this link, a dropdown with two text input boxes unfolds.
- In the left side box, add the tag key, and select operator [Equal or Not Equal].
- In the right side box, add tag value, and press the '+' button. Currently, we do not support empty value, and support for which will be available soon.
- If you want to search for additional tags, repeat steps 2-4.
The search results are instantly updated in the pane below. Please note all the tags provided in the search are ANDed together.
Can I combine tag search with basic search and resource-based search?
Of course. You may select a specific set of AWS accounts, AWS regions, AWS resource types, and resource attributes search (if a single resource type is selected) to precisely find the AWS resources in your accounts as per the tag search requirements.
Various combinations of these filters help you to "slice and dice" AWS Resources in your cloud.
Is any customer action needed?
No. We will start picking up tags information for each supported resource type automatically.
What enhancements are planned for the future?
- Additional search operators: Empty (tag value is empty), Not Empty (tag value is not empty), Null (tag is not present), Not Null (tag key is present irrespective of the tag value).
We plan to start releasing these enhancements in coming weeks, and would be available to all our customers automatically.
What Resource Types are supported?
To begin with, we are adding a tag search for the below resource types. In future, whenever a new resource type is added, if AWS natively supports tags, AWS tag search would be by default available for those resource types.